Gluten-Free Crunchy Taco Casserole | The LaVere Altered Cookery

I'm pretty sure I should have been Mexican. I know. We've had this discussion before with photo-fam Veronica. Mexican food mostly is naturally gluten-free-- thank you, baby corn!-- and it's just great.

But when I decided to make Crunchy Taco Casserole, it came out of left field. I had pre-cooked chicken, black beans, and crunchy taco shells. (I'm honestly not a huge fan of crunchy taco shells for the pure reason they rip the top of my mouth to shreds when I eat them. lol) And I didn't really feel like getting everything messy with the shells, so I wondered what it all would taste like if I threw it all into a casserole dish.

So, Crunchy Taco Casserole was born!


Gluten-Free Crunchy Taco Casserole

INGREDIENTS:

* 6 crunchy corn taco shells
* 1 1/2 cups of grilled chicken, cut in small pieces (I used the whole package of Perdue Shortcuts Carved Chicken Breast, Grilled.)
* 1 can of black beans
* 1/2 cup of sour cream
* 1 cup of Mexican blend shredded cheese (or more for you cheese lovers!)
* a few shakes of garlic powder
* a few shakes of dried cilantro
* a few shakes of homemade taco seasoning ** (the store-bought packets are NOT gluten-free, please see note below.)



DIRECTIONS:
* Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
* Crunch up taco shells into small pieces and layer on the bottom of a 9" glass pan.
* Spread grilled chicken pieces onto crushed taco shells.
* Lightly drain black beans and then pour onto the grilled chicken layer.
* Pour remaining "stuck in the can" beans into a bowl along with sour cream. Shake garlic powder, dried cilantro, and taco seasoning into the sour cream and beans. Mix and then spread onto the bean layer.
* Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top (until satisfied).
* Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling. (Taco shells should be moistened and chewy!)
* Enjoy!



[** For homemade taco seasoning: My BFF Elaine makes this for me because I can't eat the store-bought stuff because it contains gluten/preservatives and unnecessary pepper flakes. ;) Her recipe is based off of this one on AllRecipes.com. Minus the chili powder and red pepper flakes, of course. ;)]

1 comment :

  1. I'm just starting to learn about gluten free cooking for my bf. this sounds so good! It may be tonight's dinner!

    ReplyDelete