The (real) power of going back to the basics.

Sometimes I leave my Nikon D700 at home. Intentionally.

Yes, I loooooove my camera, but sometimes I even get in the mindset of "Whoa. My camera is capturing some awesome images." I KNOW! Duh, Chelsea. That's the dumbest remark ever from someone who lives and breathes what goes into her photos. Why aren't you reminding yourself of your BFF Ansel Adams and his viewpoint on the most important component of a photograph?! (P.S. It's the photog. ;) )

Last summer (2011), I went away for my annual Massachusetts pilgrimage (e.g., gifted camp for kids where I have worked for the past 9 years) and brought just my D40. My friend and past bride Morgan got into one of her wedding gowns, and we stretched our creative skills. (You can see more from that shoot on its own blog post.)

This past summer (2012), I brought no other camera except the one on my iPhone. (I go way much more into iPhoneography on the Hampton Roads Creative blog, so you can check that out if you want!)

Not only were they practical decisions (seriously, equipment weighs a ton, and I quite honestly dread dragging it through the airport with my laptop. Too. Much. Hassle.), but mainly a decision to break away from the crutch a professional camera can give you.

Over time, you can convince yourself that only your camera makes or breaks an image.

For someone who swore up and down that she'd never go into business for photography (just ask my Mom and Dad Forry-- my PA fam-- they laugh at me today! lol), I need my little reminders every so often why I fell in love with this medium. Burnout is very prevalent in the photography industry just due to the sheer emotional connection to our work. I've seen it happen, and it's a bit scary. It shows in the work and strains relationships. I felt something kin to creative burnout last Fall.

So for me, it's vital to step away so I can come back fresh before wedding/boudoir season and give it my absolute all for the people who believe in me and trust me to make those memories immortal for them.




Using an iPhone for my own memories allows me the one opportunity that I don't have to be perfect. That I can allow myself a tiny bit of creativity without going overboard.

It's going back to the basics. Back to what I truly love. Making the ordinary into some extraordinary.

No comments :

Post a Comment